Baptism is the gateway to the sacraments and necessary for salvation. Through baptism men and women are freed from sin, are reborn as children of God, and, configured to Christ by an indelible character, are incorporated into the Church.
SCHEDULING A BAPTISM
St. Mary Parish offers the sacrament of Baptism every Sunday at 12:30 PM, with the exception of Holy Days and Holiday weekends. Up to four (4) babies are Baptized at each celebration. Please call the Parish Office to schedule a Baptism.
Parents are required to have attended a pre-Baptism class within the five (5) years prior to the baptismal date. St. Mary Parish offers a pre-Baptism class on the second Wednesday of every other month at 7:30 PM, in the Barn. Please call the Parish Office to register for a pre-Baptism class.
The role of a Godparent or Sponsor is a role of support in the Catholic faith journey of the person receiving the sacrament of Baptism. It is a comittment to help the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it. When selecting a Godparent, the following criteria must be met:
- There is to be only one male Godparent or one female Godparent, or one of each.
- May not be the father or mother of the child being baptized.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- At least one Godparent must be Catholic and the other, if not Catholic, may be a Christian Witness.
- Catholic Godparents must be validly baptized in the eyes of the Catholic Church and have received the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Confirmation in the Catholic Church.
- Catholic Godparents must be in good standing with their Parish of registration and if married, must be validly married in the eyes of the Church.
Catholic Godparents are required to submit a sponsor certificate from their Parish of registration to St. Mary Parish no later than one week prior to the Baptism.
Please contact the Parish Office to request a sponsor certificate be issued from St. Mary Parish.